Resizing a photo can be necessary for a variety of situations. For instance, you may need a specific ratio for a print, or a specific pixel size to share to social media. Luminar Neo can handle both scenarios with ease.
Resizing or cropping an image to a specific aspect ratio
Resizing or cropping a photo to a specific aspect ratio can be necessary for a variety of situations. The most common is for creating a print in a standard size. For example, a standard print size is 8” x 10”, which equates to a 4:5 aspect ratio. Let’s resize and crop a photo to fit.
- Select a photo in your Catalog that you wish to resize to a specific aspect ratio, then switch to the Edit tab.
- At the top of the Tools panel, select the CropAI tool.
- In the Ratio dropdown menu, select from one of the preset standard ratios, or choose Enter Custom to define a custom crop ratio. For this example, we’ll choose 4:5
- Use the Hand Tool to move your image around for your preferred placement and composition. When you’re satisfied, click on the CropAI tool to commit the crop.
Resizing an image to a specific pixel size
Resizing an image to a specific pixel dimension is done during the Export process. You can export your image at its original size or enter new dimensions for the image to fit its long side or short side.
A common reason for resizing the pixel dimension of a photo is to share it with friends and family via email or social media. Decreasing the pixel dimensions of a photo makes the file size smaller, and thus easier to email and upload. For example, let’s export a photo to post on Facebook, which recommends that photos be 1080 pixels wide.
- Select a photo in your Catalog that you wish to export.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Resize dropdown menu, choose Long Edge.
- In the field below, enter the pixel dimensions you need. For this example, we’ll enter 1080.
- Select the Color space and Format desired (for Facebook, we recommend sRGB Color space and JPEG format).
- Click the Save button to export your photo.