The By drop-down menu lets you choose the order in which you view images in the Catalog.
Located in the upper right corner of the Catalog window, the By menu lets you easily switch between different sorting options depending on your needs. For example, you can find your most recent photos using By Capture Time and Descending, or you can find your oldest images using By Capture Time and Ascending.
- Capture Time. This option sorts your images using date and time metadata. This allows you to easily find your most recent (or the oldest) photos in a folder or album.
- Edit Time. This option allows you to sort your photos by the last date you edited them in LuminarAI. This is great when you reopen your Catalog after a break and want to quickly locate the images you were last working on.
- Pick. This option groups and sorts your images by how you have flagged them. If you sort by ascending, you will see Unmarked images, Rejected images, and Favorite images in that order. Switching to Descending reverses the order, showing Rejected images first, then Favorites, and finally Unmarked.
- File Name. This option sorts your images by file name. Files starting with a number will appear first, followed by letters from A to Z. When set to Descending order, images will be sorted from Z to A and then numerically from highest to lowest number.
- File Type. This option groups and sorts images alphabetically by file type, such as JPEG, TIFF, and raw. These groups are sorted alphabetically by the file identifier. For example, Sony raw images would appear first, as they are ARW files. Canon raw files would appear second, as they are CR2 files, followed by JPG, Nikon NEF files, Fujifilm RAF files, and then TIFFs.
- File Size. You can sort your photos by the size of the files. This is useful if you have multiple versions of the same photos, perhaps low-quality thumbnails and the original JPEGs. Sorting by size lets you easily group photos and, in the case of low-resolution thumbnails, easily delete them from your Catalog.
- Ascending. This option works in conjunction with the other filter criteria, sorting filter results from smallest to largest, A to Z, lowest number to highest number, oldest to newest, and so on.
- Descending. This option works in conjunction with the other filter criteria and reverses the sorting order, displaying results from largest to smallest, Z to A, newest to oldest, etc.