You can also apply a mask directly to most tools. This allows you to apply the results of a tool to a specific area. Perhaps you want to enhance just the sky or add details to the foreground. Gradient Masks and Radial Masks can help you smoothly blend an effect.
To create a tool mask:
- Select a tool in the Edit panel.
- After you make an adjustment in a tool, the Rest tool and Add Mask icons will appear at the top of the tool window (to the left of the toggle to turn the tool on and off). This makes it easy to see if a tool has been applied to an image.
- Click the Edit Mask icon at the top of the tool to reveal masking options.
- Choose from Paint Mask, Radial Mask, or Gradient Mask in the drop-down menu.
- Use the techniques covered in this chapter to edit the mask.