What are Albums?
Albums are virtual storage locations. Think of them as musical playlists for your photos. A song on your hard drive can live in a playlist based on the artist, the year it was released, and the genre of music it belongs to. So too can a photo, the same original image can be assigned to an album named after the person, where the picture was taken, and the event where it was shot.
How are Albums Different than Folders?
Unlike folders, when you move an image between album, or even into multiple albums, nothing changes to the structure of your hard drive. If you delete a photo from an album, it will still be in its original folder in Luminar and on your hard drive.
Creating an Album
Creating an album is easy and a great way to organize your photos.
- To create an album, select a single image or group of images in your library.
- Click on the Add Album button (the small + button to the right of the word Albums) in the Library panel. A new Album is created named “Untitled,” and, the selected images are placed in that album. You can also choose Library > New Ablum.
- When you first create an album the name is highlighted, allowing you to easily rename that album. Add a descriptive name to the new album.
You can also create an Album from a group of images:
- Select multiple images in your library
- Choose Library > New Album (or press Cmd+N / Ctrl+N)
You can rename an Album at any time by right-clicking on it and selecting Rename from the pop-up menu. It is possible to have two albums with identical names, so be careful when naming to promote a well-organized library.
Copying Images Between Albums
You can drag images from one album to another album. This puts the image in the new album without removing it from the first album. For example, you may have photos of people in your Paris Travel Album and you also want them included in your people Album
Removing Files from Albums
Removing an image from an album is easy. Since the file is still in its original folder and in your library, this is a fast operation.
- Choose the album you want to work with
- Select the images you want to discard (use the Shift key to select a range of images).
- Press the Delete key.
The images are removed from that selected Album; however, they will still live in other Albums and their original folder. Removing an image from an album does not affect the original file on your hard drive.